Murray Defeats Nadal to Reach First Grand Slam Final

Monday, September 8, 2008


The day was different, the stadium was different, and for sure, the weather was different.

But the match and the stakes it carried were certainly the same, as was Andy Murray’s level of play.

Heavy rains from Tropical Storm Hanna forced the suspension of the men’s semifinal match Saturday in Louis Armstrong Stadium between No. 6 Andy Murray and No. 1 Rafael Nadal early into the third set with Murray up two sets to love but Nadal leading and up a break 3-2 in the third.

Play resumed late Sunday afternoon in Arthur Ashe Stadium on a sunny, windy day, in stark comparison to the cloudy, humid conditions Saturday.

And while Nadal stepped up to his usual level of play Sunday, it was Murray who was the better player over both days and who advanced to play in the US Open final Monday against four-time champion Roger Federer, with a 6-2, 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-4 win over the world No. 1.

It is Murray’s first career appearance in a Grand Slam final, and when the new rankings come out Monday, he will be a career-high No. 4.

“It was very different to yesterday with the completely different court, different conditions,” Murray said. “I think the first time, maybe second time on – since I been on the tour when I've actually had to come back the following day, so that was tough for me.

“The ball was flying through the air a bit more (today),” he added. “I just had to try and stay calm. I thought I was playing well enough to win the match, but I knew Nadal was going to come at me. There was a few sort of ups and downs even though it was a very short time we were out on the court, but I managed to come through in the end.”

During the match Saturday, Murray was outplaying the world No. 1, with two breaks of serve in the opening set, as Nadal was uncharacteristically not sharp with his shots. It was the Scot who came up with bigger shots when needed, with 25 winners alone in the second set.

The second set ended in a tiebreak win for Murray and no breaks yet in the match for the Spaniard. Nadal earned his first break points of the match in the opening game of the third set and earned his first break of the match when Murray hit a shot long. The next four games stayed on serve – with better play from Nadal – and then the rain came, just over two hours into the match.

For Nadal, having the match suspended was actually somewhat beneficial for him as he came out playing Sunday like his usual hard-hitting self.

“For me it was a little bit lucky,” Nadal said of the suspension of the match. “Yesterday I was not playing (well), so today I played a little bit more. Today was a different match. I played with a little bit more energy. Before I don't know where was the energy…He played well.”

“It's difficult, every day to be fresh, so I know one day going to happen something like yesterday,” he added. “Well, wasn't the best moment because it was a semifinals of the US Open, but at the same time never is a good moment…but I'm very happy for everything. I tried my best during all the tournament. I wasn't very fresh during all the tournament. I did semifinals, so very happy for that.”

When play resumed Sunday, the third set remained on serve and Nadal took the set with a winner left to force a fourth.

Nadal then survived a pivotal second game in the fourth. After saving a break point to bring the game to deuce, it went to deuce seven more times before the Spaniard gained the advantage with a Murray shot wide and then finally held when the Scot hit a shot into the net.

Murray had multiple opportunities with seven break-point chances to take the early 2-0 lead. Nadal then broke in the following game to take the 2-1 advantage, but the Scot did not let himself get down.

“He only missed one first serve in those points, so even though I had break chances, he played well on them and I missed a couple of shots that I maybe shouldn't have,” Murray said of the second game. “I thought that, even though I got broken the following game, I still kept my emotions in check. I knew I was going to have chances to get back in the match and I obviously did.”

The fans in Arthur Ashe were treated to a great fourth set of tennis with hard-hitting rallies and crafty shots. Murray evened it up with a break back in the sixth game to make it 3-3.

After Murray hit an ace to close out the ninth game and go up 5-4, still on serve, Nadal took the ball and was up 40-30. But after a fantastic rally featuring hard-hitting groundstrokes from both players, who both showed great movement around the court, the game finally moved to deuce.

A similar rally followed on the next point, which Murray won to gain the advantage with a winner into the empty court after Nadal tracked down a shot to the left corner. With now a break point for match point, Nadal sliced a drop shot that Murray caught up to. He smashed a passing shot right to take the match.

“(The) dropshot, well, I run a lot in the point before,” Nadal said of his shot selection. “I was against wind. The ball was difficult because with the backhand higher, so (there were) not many chances to do.”

“I go on court only with calm,” he said of his feelings during the match. “Just try to fight. I just go and fight as much as I can and go back home knowing I tried everything.”

It is has been a great season so far for Nadal, who won his fourth straight title at Roland Garros, his first Wimbledon title, reached No. 1 in the world for the first time and won the Olympic gold medal in singles. He also won the Olympus US Open Series, and his semifinal appearance in Flushing Meadows also marks his best career performance at the US Open.

The win Sunday continued Murray’s great summer as he finished second in the Olympus US Open Series and won the title in Cincinnati. He has played well against Federer in the past and defeated him earlier this year in Dubai.

But it could not be a better place for Murray to reach his first major final than at his favorite tournament – the US Open – but he is not satisfied quite yet.

“I'm obviously delighted to be in my first Slam final. But, you know, like I said at the start of the tournament, I want to try and win it,” he said. “After playing so well yesterday and everything that went on with the rain and the court changes and stuff, obviously going a break behind in the fourth, it was, you know, almost slipping away slightly. Then to come back in the end, you're relieved that you managed to come through.”

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP